I gave Ryan Adams’ new album a second try a few weeks ago, and realized it’s actually very good. It’s not as good as his first two albums (which are two of my favorite records, like, ever), but it’s easily as good as any of his other records. Really, really solid. And he’s on tour. So you can see him play the whole album, live . . . Or you can keep your fat ass on the couch and listen to it right here on the corner!
That’s my preference, of course.
1. Goodnight Rose. A majestic track, and a perfect set closer. Actually, it’s a rare example of a song that introduces an album as well as it would have ended the album.
3. Everybody Knows. Ryan Adams doing his best Jerry Garcia imitation.
4. Halloweenhead. Because it’s so much cooler to do this than to make a Christmas song.
5. Oh My God, Whatever, Etc.
6. Tears Of Gold. Breakin’ out the honky tonk.
7. The Sun Also Sets
8. Off Broadway
9. Pearls On A String
10. Rip Off. A piano-driven track, reminiscent of the time Elton John performed with Ryan Adams in one of the greatest shows ever.
11. Two Hearts and 12. These Girls. I couldn’t find live versions of these tracks.
13. I Taught Myself How To Grow Old
Bonus cuts from the ’07 tour:
Down in a Hole. From the EP he just released, because Ryan can’t seem to go 24 hours without laying down wax.
The rap about throwing up in my own mouth. Wherein Ryan proves his dedication to his audience.
Arkham Asylum. True fans know that Ryan loves Batman comics, so it should be no surprise that he named a song after the D.C. prison hospital that houses The Joker, Riddler, Penguin, and all the other literally batshit crazy Dark Knight villains.