If Britney Spears is overrated as a singer and underrated as a public drunk, Pete Doherty is the opposite. I’ve never been a huge Libs fan, but much of Doherty’s quieter work is interesting, even sweet, kind of like old Kinks tunes. Check out these unreleased recordings.
1. Albion. This is the second take of a simple, acoustic ditty from The Baby Shambles Sessions; it’s still being roughed out, but that’s often where true genius shines through. You know, before it gets produced to death.
2. Don’t Look Back Into the Sun-The Libertines.
3. Janie Jones (Clash cover)-Babyshambles. The rare example of a Clash cover that is almost as good as the original.
4. Babyshambles-The Libertines. The theme song for his current band back when it was his future band.
5. What a Waster-Adam Green (Libs cover). I don’t dig his voice, but I like his take on the tune.
6. What Katie Did-The Libertines. I wish this song made sense, because I’m pretty sure I can figure out who it’s about.
7. Who’s Got The Crack?-The Libertines
8. For Lovers-Wolfman and Pete Doherty. I love this tune. Didn’t care for the rest of the record, though.
9. Breck Road Lover-The Libertines
10. Time for Heroes (The Libertines)-Graham Coxon
This one goes up to 11! Can’t Stand Me Now-Libertines